Thursday, August 27, 2009

Staycation- Day 1

I am SO excited to share about our family staycation that we had this last weekend!  What's a staycation?  Well with the bad economy and tough times people are trying to spend less money, and the latest trend is taking your family vacation in your own city.  Luckily for us we are blessed to live near the beautiful city of Chicago!  Another blessing is our dear friends, Jake and Shari-members of the Usual Suspects, moved downtown last year and have a 15th floor studio apartment smack in the middle of all Chicago's hottest tourist attractions.  And the greatest blessing is they allowed us to stay at their place for 4 days and 3 nights while they were away!  Now since we had Chicago as a backdrop we went a bit picture crazy, really does that surprise you?  So I'll share a day of our trip a day to spare your retinas from   overloading. : )

Day 1, Thursday:
In order to save even more on expenses I spent Wednesday evening planning out every meal while we were away.  I packed two coolers full of food!  Here is our car all packed up (not including the pack and play that was on the floor in front of the girls)- yes we were only gone 3 nights:
The Hubs had to work that day so about 3:15 I left our house to go get him, then I realized I forgot the pack and play and had to turn around, so then at 3:25 we finally left the house.  We had prepared ourselves for LOTS of traffic since we weren't leaving until 3:45, like two hours worth, but we were pleasantly surprised to make it down by 4:45!!

We did stop and pick up McDonald's -the only meal I didn't pack- because we needed to eat in the car in order to complete our plans for the evening.  So we got to Jake and Shari's place, unpacked, and then made our way Navy Pier.  Here's the view from their place, nice huh?!
On Navy Pier there is a nice children's museum, and Thursday nights are FREE!  So we made good time walking over there so we walked around the pier a bit and just enjoyed the ambiance.  The kids enjoyed themselves too. : )







The children's museum was GREAT but crowded but the girlies didn't mind. : )  




I think the water room was their favorite!








Afterwards we enjoyed just taking in the city lights and enjoying a nice, warm stroll back to the apartment.  
Once "home" we got ready for bed and tucked the girlies in their creative rooms and said good night.  And since they don't have a TV, the hubs and I enjoyed snuggling while watching a movie.  A fun first day!  Stay tuned for Day 2 tomorrow!




2 comments:

HeatherOz said...

OMG! I am so excited to see the rest of your trip! My husband is from Darien. I did visit there a couple of times and loved it! How lucky to stay in that beautiful apartment! We are BIG fans of staycations! I hope you have pics of the aquarium. I loved it there. Do you like Portillo's? I made my husband take me to eat there every day when we were in Chicago! He even brought some home on a plane for me once!

Kelly said...

Wow, what a neat idea! All the pictures are awesome...looks like y'all had a great time at the children's museum! Can't wait to see the rest of your trip!

Post a Comment

Check these out!

Check these out!
Just click on the pictures:

I'm Tweeting!

    follow me on Twitter

    Designed By:

    Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Kelly Medina

    Follow Me!

    Archives

    Natalie's sentiments
    Jenna’s Journey Blog

    About Me

    My photo
    I used to be an elementary teacher but am now a stay-at-home mommy with three sweet baby girls. Bella is 6, Brynn is 4, and Brooklyn is 1. We also have a sweet Golden Retriever named Beckham. I have been married to the love of my life, Vincent, for almost 12 years. Although I hate the cold I am a Chicago girl through and through. And thats about all I've got!

    Certain topic.....?

     
    Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved