Monday, June 1, 2009

Need a good book?

I must introduce you to the two fabulous books I am reading.  I am not a big reader.  Accept for Francine River books (which I LOVE, favorite is Redeeming Love) I haven't read a whole lot since school.  And now since kids have come along, I'm lucky if I can proofread my posts before sending them.

However as a new newish parent I was really feeling like I needed guidance in raising up our girls.  So a good friend of mine suggested we started a mini-mommy book club (wanna join us?  We meet every other Monday night right now, let me know!). We've decided to read "Shepherding a Child's Heart" written by Tedd Tripp.  After reading the intro.  I was hooked.  I already feel like this is going to revolutionize the way the hubs and I parent (yes I'm trying to convince him to read it with me also).  A good glimpse in to this book would be where the author is explaining the key to raising/disciplining our children: he encourages parents to look at the "why" not the "what" of your child's actions.  You need to look at the heart of the matter and address that, not just what they're doing wrong.  It really is thought provoking.



Now we, along with two couple friends of ours, have decided to start a couple's small group.  We really felt the need in our lives to grow closer to God and wanted good friends to do it along side with.  We were looking for a book to study together that would help grow us near to God in our individual relationships, as well as draw us closer to our significant others through our relationship with God.  I remembered a post way back where MckMama had talked about a book that had changed her marriage and after reading what she wrote I thought it sounded perfect!  In the book it talks about how maybe marriage isn't about making yourself happy, but making yourself holy.  The author talks about how you should concentrate on making your walk with the Lord your utmost priority.  Strive to be more holy not just happy.  He talks about how so often couples fall in love, its a romantic love and when that fades and they wonder what happened..... Anyway I'm not doing it justice at all.  You just need to get the book and read it. : )  It is called "Sacred Marriage" written by Gary Thomas (who actually went to Boston and visited and held sweet baby Stellan when he was so sick, click here to see!).


Anyway just really wanted to share those with you.  I'm sure I'll be sharing more insights and exciting things I've learned from these books in the future!  Happy Tuesday!   


1 comment:

Christina said...

I've been wanting to pick up sacred marriage. I want Matt and I to read it at night together. Are you enjoying it?

Post a Comment

Check these out!

Check these out!
Just click on the pictures:

I'm Tweeting!

    follow me on Twitter

    Designed By:

    Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Kelly Medina

    Follow Me!

    Archives

    Natalie's sentiments
    Jenna’s Journey Blog

    About Me

    My photo
    I used to be an elementary teacher but am now a stay-at-home mommy with three sweet baby girls. Bella is 6, Brynn is 4, and Brooklyn is 1. We also have a sweet Golden Retriever named Beckham. I have been married to the love of my life, Vincent, for almost 12 years. Although I hate the cold I am a Chicago girl through and through. And thats about all I've got!

    Certain topic.....?

     
    Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved