Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Now I know my ABCs.....

So Bella turned three at the end of February and ever since Christmas she has been able to almost spell her name for me (she occasionally leaves out the E) and point out B's when she sees them, so I thought it would be a good time to teach her the alphabet.  Although having a friend tell me her son has known his alphabet since he was two also was a good motivator.  I know, I know never compare, right.  Oh you know we all do it!  
Well thats not the main reason for me wanting to do this.  I'd also, as a former elementary, like to feel like I'm bestowing some knowledge on to my towheaded princess besides how to push a dolly in the stroller, how to roll snakes out of playdoh, and put together a pink princess puzzle (although all very important as well!).  And so the "lessons" began.  I don't really have a set schedule or plan for my lessons, they're more impromptu. Whenever the situation arrives I go with it. 
Due to Bella's speech delay, although she loves music and singing, it doesn't come easy for her.  One thing that is very hard for Bella is when she's required to speak quickly, so having to say long sentences or singing lyrics to a song is difficult for her.  I know a lot of kids her age can at least sing the alphabet but Bella does not.  We'll sing it and she can get the letters that you pause on (sing it and you'll know what I mean) but can't sing the whole thing.  Poor thing doesn't even know twinkle twinkle or other common nursery songs.  But we're working on them and we are SO proud of the progress she has made in the last year.  So that being said I've had to be more creative than just singing the alphabet with her and here are some of things I've been doing:


I found these post-it letters at Walmart.  Bella enjoys looking at the bright colors and sticking them on things and coloring on them, all the while I sit near by pointing out what letter it is or asking her what letter it is.

This was a GREAT find.  Once again at Walmart, I found this Disney Princess (which made her happy) Alphabet book for only $3(which made me happy)!  The great thing is it came with a CD and on the CD they sing the alphabet song and then read the princess themed alphabet book out loud.  Bella loves the thrill of having someone else reading the story and loves all the princess correlations obviously! Its also great to take on the road as well to keep the kiddos occupied, and educated, in the car!


Back when I was teaching I had used my scholastic points to purchase these.  This is how I first introduce Bella to the letter.  She loves the fact its a balloon and I feel like since she has the opportunity to have a tactile experience with the letter is really allows for her to "experience" the letter and in returns helps her to remember it.  That could be totally bogus but she loves it and its something we've tried!


And this we just did tonight!  Found them in the freezer isle at Jewel.  How fun are they!?


Look her potatoes say Bella!

So any other fun ideas on how to teach the alphabet?!

P.S. so far we've worked on A, B, C, D, and E.  She also knows O, M, and S for some reason. : )


3 comments:

Lisa said...

OK, confession, I'm pretty sure Luke has learned the whole alphabet from watching SuperWhy on PBS. It comes on at 9A- Word World is another one we like. We have a magnetic board that has all the letters on one side & a dry erase board on the other- made by Melissa & Doug, has been a great tool for us. I think you've got some great ideas, such a teacher :)

flowerpot said...

It's so creative to combine letters and food. Alphabet pasta and alphabet crackers/cookies are other ways she can eat her letters. You have a precious family!

Missy said...

Awesome!

Ok, let me tell ya. Buy the "Leap Frog Letter Factory" DVD. After she watches it a few times, she will know all her letters and all their sounds. It is FREAKY how well that thing works.

Post a Comment

Check these out!

Check these out!
Just click on the pictures:

I'm Tweeting!

    follow me on Twitter

    Designed By:

    Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Kelly Medina

    Follow Me!

    Archives

    Natalie's sentiments
    Jenna’s Journey Blog

    About Me

    My photo
    I used to be an elementary teacher but am now a stay-at-home mommy with three sweet baby girls. Bella is 6, Brynn is 4, and Brooklyn is 1. We also have a sweet Golden Retriever named Beckham. I have been married to the love of my life, Vincent, for almost 12 years. Although I hate the cold I am a Chicago girl through and through. And thats about all I've got!

    Certain topic.....?

     
    Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved