Friday, April 10, 2009

It isn't all bunnies and colorful eggs....

The hubs, being a MK (missionary kid) (which if I am being honest I technically am too but that's another post, I digress) grew up in a conservative home.  Where our holidays, such as Christmas, Easter, etc. are about the true meaning of that holiday.  That means No trick-o-treating, No Santa, No Easter Bunny.  Now don't misunderstand I completely and wholeheartedly support and agree with that. Although I also grew up in a conservative home my parents weren't this way with us.  We got dressed up and trick-o-treated (although we were not allowed to go to haunted house and anything with witches or ghosts, I think we attempted the awful Santa pictures, and we always had an Easter egg hunt.  Since we've had children of our own this has been a source of arguments discussion in our home.  I always felt like as long as they knew the true meaning of the holiday and why we truly celebrate it what's the harm?  But lately as I've gotten over more stubbornness grown wiser I'm not sure if I believe that.  When I asked Bella why we celebrate Easter the other day she said, "Eggs!"  That really bothered me.  I think she's a little young to know the full meaning of Easter but I certainly don't want her thinking its just about eggs.  Unfortunately all you see on TV or out in the stores are colorful eggs and bunnies so all kids know is that.  And that is why its our job, duty, priority to teach them that its more than that.  So I think right now our plan will be to let the girls enjoy some of the silly holiday traditions as long as we are constantly telling her why we really celebrate these special holidays.  One of the many bloggers I read was feeling the same way and wrote this.  
What are your thoughts?

Here are a couple of things we've been using to teach Bella about Easter.


These are great and will be super valuable as she gets older.  Right now she just enjoys finding the appropriate color and then we tell her briefly and edited what it symbolizes in the Easter Story.


We've also been reading this to her each night.  A much lighter and simplistic way to tell the Easter story.
Anything fun that you use?


1 comment:

Christa @ Quintooples said...

I am getting these for next year!!!! Thanks for the tips!!! I was looking for an idea just like this!

Post a Comment

Check these out!

Check these out!
Just click on the pictures:

I'm Tweeting!

    follow me on Twitter

    Designed By:

    Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Kelly Medina

    Follow Me!

    Archives

    Natalie's sentiments
    Jenna’s Journey Blog

    About Me

    My photo
    I used to be an elementary teacher but am now a stay-at-home mommy with three sweet baby girls. Bella is 6, Brynn is 4, and Brooklyn is 1. We also have a sweet Golden Retriever named Beckham. I have been married to the love of my life, Vincent, for almost 12 years. Although I hate the cold I am a Chicago girl through and through. And thats about all I've got!

    Certain topic.....?

     
    Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved