Monday, May 11, 2009

The Big Clean Up!

So while the hubs was away with some guy friends in Las Vegas.  I was home.  Doesn't seem fair..... but I digress.  Although maybe not as splendid as Vegas I still had a fun and productive time with my mom, emphasis on productive.  My mom flew in to be with be me but also to help out while the hubs was away.  Whenever my mom is here she graciously helps me conquer projects I can't or don't want to get to.  

Our garage was in need of a major overhaul.  Over our 3 and a half years of living here it has never truly been completely organized.  Every surface there was was covered in tools, toys, children's clothes, empty dishes, you name it, it was placed there.  The hubs talks all the time about organizing it and even straightens it here and there, but never got around to really taking a chunk out of the mess.  I also knew that if the day did come where he felt motivated enough to clean it out I would be without his help with the girls for however long it took him.  So mom and I took it upon ourselves just to tackle this massive project ourselves!

We started Saturday and literally pulled everything out of the garage.  Swept the floor, including a dead mouse and mouse droppings.  We painted.  Bought hooks and organizers.  Hung everything we could.  Found locations for things we couldn't.  Threw out a ton (some things we won't mention- Our neighbors of course wanted to know what we were doing and we explained.  Later while him and his wife were talking to us, he said, "Don't ever do this when I'm out of town. : ))  My neighbor also helped me find a car cover so we could drive put in neutral and, after trying unsuccessfully ourselves, have our neighbor help us steer it over to the side of the house, so we can officially put the two cars we drive regularly BOTH in the garage!  I went through all the buckets and containers the hubs had filled with screws, drill bits, screw drivers, wires, bolts, etc. and carefully organized them.  

 Saturday night we of course weren't finished so we had to move everything in the driveway back in to the garage.  It looked worse than when we started!  A bit discouraging.  

Luckily by late Sunday we were starting to make some head way and got a little bit of a boost to keep truckin!

By Monday evening we had accomplished our goal.  It was amazing!  I don't think it has ever looked that good, except before we moved in. : )

We were exhausted and sore but oh so vindicated!

In this big en devour we made $26.50 in change we had found in the big clean up so we treated ourselves to a nice dinner out!

The hubs was very excited about his surprise.  Although he did mention that, although messy, he knew where everything was before, but the very next day he was inspired to do some projects around the house and easily located everything he needed, ahhh!

Here are some pics:
Before:

 

Do you see a beautiful baby in this picture?

There she is!

Sweetly hanging out while her momma and grandma work.

The girls were great while we worked. Here they are sharing a snow cone from the ice cream truck.


After:





Ahhh, it feels so wonderful! Now only if it will stay this way.....

2 comments:

Sharon said...

Wow, what a difference! I give you lots of credit...I can't imagine tackling a project like that, much less when I know the one who should be helping is out of town having fun! :o)

Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Good job, girls!!

Dad

Post a Comment

Check these out!

Check these out!
Just click on the pictures:

I'm Tweeting!

    follow me on Twitter

    Designed By:

    Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Kelly Medina

    Follow Me!

    Archives

    Natalie's sentiments
    Jenna’s Journey Blog

    About Me

    My photo
    I used to be an elementary teacher but am now a stay-at-home mommy with three sweet baby girls. Bella is 6, Brynn is 4, and Brooklyn is 1. We also have a sweet Golden Retriever named Beckham. I have been married to the love of my life, Vincent, for almost 12 years. Although I hate the cold I am a Chicago girl through and through. And thats about all I've got!

    Certain topic.....?

     
    Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved