Saturday, October 30, 2010

Can Jesus be celebrated during Halloween....?

YES!
(Sorry I've been MIA. My wonderful momma was in town for the week!)

Last year I wrote this post a little about my struggles with Halloween.

So the Hubs and his family never celebrated Halloween while he was growing up. They believe that what the holiday truly represents isn't worth celebrating. Now I completely understand their way of thinking but I kindly disagree. I see no harm in letting the kiddos dress up and go out and get some yummy candy. I do understand the hub's family though and agree that a lot about Halloween is inappropriate. Thankfully my sweet hubs allows us to celebrate Halloween in a simpler way. We let the girls dress up, carve pumpkins, and trick-o-treat but that is the extent of our celebrating.

With my mom in town, the hubs was thankful to hand off our carving traditions to my mom and I. My mom knows of the hub's distaste for this holiday and happened upon a sweet activity to do while carving pumpkins.
I think its SO great and a nice way to bring Jesus into Halloween. : )

The Pumpkin Prayer:
Dear God,
As I carve my pumpkin help me say this prayer:

Open my mind so I can learn about You;
(cut the top of the pumpkin)

Take away all my sin and forgive me for the wrong things I do.
(clean out the inside)

Open my eyes so Your love I will see;
(cut the eyes out in heart shapes)

I'm so sorry for turning up my nose to all you've given me.
(cut the nose in the shape of a cross)

Open my ears so your word I will hear.
(cut the ears shaped like the Bible-rectangles)

Open my mouth so I can tell others You're near
(cut the mouth in the shape of a fish)

Let Your light shine in all I say and do! Amen.
(place candle inside and light it)

Now we didn't do the shapes they suggested but you get the gist. So cute. And a good way to keep our children's minds on things that are good and not evil that this holiday loves to promote.


I had the girls put on their aprons and they insisted on wearing their chef hats too. Ha! :)







No comments:

Post a Comment

Check these out!

Check these out!
Just click on the pictures:

I'm Tweeting!

    follow me on Twitter

    Designed By:

    Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Kelly Medina

    Follow Me!

    Natalie's sentiments
    Jenna’s Journey Blog

    About Me

    My photo
    I used to be an elementary teacher but am now a stay-at-home mommy with three sweet baby girls. Bella is 6, Brynn is 4, and Brooklyn is 1. We also have a sweet Golden Retriever named Beckham. I have been married to the love of my life, Vincent, for almost 12 years. Although I hate the cold I am a Chicago girl through and through. And thats about all I've got!

    Certain topic.....?

     
    Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved